My Route


For more detailed maps, scroll down through the blog. Click on any one to enlarge it; use the backspace button to return to the blog. That goes for the photos, too.

Saturday

Day 22: Monday, 23rd July. Destination: Days Inn, Bowling Green, Ohio

Here I am in the Public Library of the little town of Clyde, Ohio - 30 miles or so inland from Lake Erie. The lake's behind me now, and I'm heading into farming land, which means straight roads and no hills. As a couple of cyclists said to me the other day, "it's all flat from here till you get to the Rockies."

Memories of Lake Erie will be affected by the fact that I didn't really get to see too much of it, the coast road being mostly one row of houses away from the water's edge, so the most you get is glimpses between buildings and trees. But maybe it's better that way: the endless expanse might have been a bit much over four days.Talking of endless expanses, though, I have a feeling that's what's coming my way: "I'm sure it's great cycling, if you enjoy looking at fields of corn and sunflowers" as one guy said to me at the Donut shop in Huron this morning...

...Continuing on from my Clyde library blog of earlier today, Bowling Green turned out to be a University Town and the Days Inn a couple of miles out of town at the Interstate. Always a bit of a drag to have to cycle back into town after showering and changing and relaxing, I ended up cycling half-way back, passed the campus to a falafel hut I'd seen earlier. Tasty, but not amazing. ‘London Calling’ by The Clash was playing on the radio, which was cool, but when I noted this to the student behind the counter he looked at me blankly and said "Who are The Clash?" What are they teaching college kids these days?